I could go off on this topic for pages and pages!
1. homosexual behavior is observed among other animals, especially mammals; therefore, I think it’s normal, although not common
2. sex acts in nature are either to reproduce, to create bonding relationships, or to dominate. Obviously male/female mate; but also male/male, female/female, and male/female pairs will engage in sex for bonding purposes (i.e. the bonobos); forceful penetration (rape in human society) from males to males and males to females happens in nature, too, often to the point of causing death to the victim. This is all about out-of-control testosterone and aggression via dominance.
3. Lesbians are targeted more than gay men or bisexual men/women to forcefully violate their sexuality in favor of penis. Society is penis centered. Everything…and I mean everything…must revolve around penis. So a bisexual woman is given acceptance because she takes the almighty peen! Gay men, although often a target of hate crimes and who faced terrible discrimination in the past, aren’t “correctively” raped by women to make them straight. Think about it…rape is forceful penetration. I don’t think having a woman penetrate a gay man with a dildo or another object will replicate any form of heterosexual sex, so gay men are given a pass to “convert.” But not Lesbians. We represent the greatest threat to males because we refuse their penis. Corrective rape is used against lesbians frequently, particularly in African countries where they are often gang raped for hours. Why? They dared to refuse the almighty peen! How dare them! So more or less gay men (along with bisexual men) get a pass because…well, because they have the glorious penis and are therefore exempt.
4. Some lesbians and gay men are hardwired for their sexuality. When society or individuals put pressure on them to just “try the opposite sex,” that is rapey and disrespectful. We would never expect that of straight people to just “try it” with someone of the same sex. Of course women often do, and very often in order to please their husbands or boyfriends because…there it is…the penis desires to see and participate. Lesbian sex is only acceptable if it is performed for the male gaze and fantasy. If men can’t watch or join, then “burn the bitch” is usually their attitude.
5. Obviously some lesbians have forced themselves to be with men for social and economic security as well as to prevent a death sentence. Gay men, in the past, have also forced themselves to be with women for social acceptance. The threat to them economically wasn’t there, and only until the last hundred years they were also facing death. But think about this…which is more devastating? Being penetrated without desire (man having sex with a lesbian) or penetrating without desire (gay man having sex with a woman)? Neither scenario is good, but I think much more devastating for the lesbian than the gay man.
6. No, we don’t change sexuality. We have one…naturally or by nurture or a combo of both, we have one. We can force ourselves or be forced by others to violate our sexuality and behave outside of it, but it doesn’t change it. So just because a woman can hold her nose, close her eyes, and gag on penis doesn’t make her straight or bi. It makes her a victim of a society that hates women and loves the penis.
Thanks Pearlie for bringing up the discussion, and thanks Proteonomics for all your links. Really interesting stuff!